Karen Fitzsimons has 30 years of senior level and corporate consultancy experience in the RSL sector, having led three RSLs as Chief Executive and supported numerous RSLs with strategic projects and Interim CEO services.
Karen led Cordale Housing Association, Clyde Valley Housing and River Clyde Homes as Chief Executive between 1995 and 2009, successfully delivering on challenging turnaround, growth and set up strategies respectively.
Since 2009, Karen has directly supported a wide range of RSLs’ governing bodies and senior staff as a Consultant on governance and strategic projects including:
- Independent governance compliance assessments
- Preparation for Annual Assurance Statements
- Governance policy and implementation
- Strategy development and risk review
- Staff structure reviews
- Board and Senior Executive development, effectiveness and appraisal
- Business planning
- Strategic Options appraisals
- Transfer of Engagements
- Stock transfer and merger
- Change and crisis management; and
- Independent investigations
Karen has also provided interim Chief Executive services, including systemically important RSLs, and provides Executive coaching for Governing Body members and Senior Staff.
Karen lectures at Edinburgh Napier University’s International Centre for Management & Governance Research (ICMGR) on the Leadership in Board Governance Programme and is a regular contributor to conferences and seminars on good governance. She has an MBA, is a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI) and an Associate Member of the Institute of Directors.